Courtsey of Lucas McNelly, I have run across this.
The way this works: you select a film from each auteur as your favorite. It reflects on your tastes and personality. That's it. Simple enough that even I can do it.
The originals on the list were:
1. Joel Coen: No Country for Old Men, The Big Lebowski, Fargo, The Hudsucker Proxy, Miller's Crossing, Raising Arizona, Barton Fink, etc.
2. Wes Anderson: The Darjeeling Limited, The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, The Royal Tennenbaums, Rushmore, Bottle Rocket.
3. Hal Ashby: Being There, Shampoo, Harold and Maude, etc.
4. Kevin Smith: Zack and Miri Make a Porno, Dogma, Chasing Amy, Mallrats, Clerks, Clerks II, Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, Jersey Girl.
5. Quentin Tarantino: Grindhouse (Death Proof), Jackie Brown, Kill Bill vol. 1, Kill Bill vol. 2, Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs.
But then these were added:
6. Stanley Kubrick: 2001, The Shining, A Clockwork Orange, Full Metal Jacket, Dr. Strangelove, Lolita, Barry Lyndon, Paths of Glory, Eyes Wide Shut, etc.
7. P.T. Anderson: Boogie Nights, Hard Eight, There Will Be Blood, Punch-Drunk Love, Magnolia.
8. Errol Morris: The Thin Blue Line, The Fog of War, Mr. Death, Fast, Cheap and Out of Control, Gates of Heaven, etc.
I'm going to add two more.
9. Alexander Payne: About Schmidt, Citizen Ruth, Election, Sideways
10. Paul Verhoeven: Basic Instinct, Black Book, Flesh+Blood, Hollow Man, Robocop, Showgirls, Starship Troopers, Total Recall, etc.
My list would read like so:
1. The Big Lebowski
3. Being There
4. Chasing Amy
5. Pulp Fiction
6. Dr. Strangelove
7. Boogie Nights
8. Abstain (I'm more than a little lacking on documentaries)
Post this on your blog, or post your choices in my comments section.