Wednesday, February 10, 2010
541 - You Aught to Know - Scott Cawelti
1. Into the Wild, Sean Penn, 2007
Thoreau taken to his logical end.
2. Grizzly Man, Werner Herzog, 2005
Disney applied to real wild animals and what happens then.
3. In the Valley of Elah, Paul Haggis, 2007
What war really does to young men.
4. Man on Wire, James Marsh, 2008
The uselessness of beauty, and the beauty of uselessness.
5. Adaptation, Spike Jonze, 2002
It's the truth even if it didn't happen.
6. Brokeback Mountain, Ang Lee, 2005
The heart has its reasons.
7. Memento, Christopher Nolan, 2001
Don't sell short term memory short.
8. No Country for Old Men, Coen Brothers, 2007
Brilliant psychopathology changing our culture.
9. Crash, Paul Haggis, 2005
Reality requires shortcuts, and they're always wrong.
10. Vicky Cristina Barcelona, Woody Allen, 2008
Neither riches, nor beauty, nor talent, nor fame can overcome
neuroses; unhappiness still rules.
Scott Cawelti taught film, writing, literature, and American culture from 1968 to 2008 at the University of Northern Iowa and now freelances as a writer, musician, and Adjunct professor.
Next time on You Aught to Know: Dancer in the Dark and Grizzly Man
Posted by James at 2/10/2010 12:21:00 PM